Was this helpful?
Incorporating calm breathing techniques into your daily routine can provide a sense of peace and relaxation.
We have created 3 different breathing tools demonstrating 3 different breathing modalities – try them and let us know which one works best for you
1 minute breathing techniqueBack to top
- Take a slow, deep breath in through your nose, allowing your abdomen to rise and expand while keeping your chest still.
- Exhale slowly through your mouth, letting your abdomen fall as the air leaves your body.
Repeat this process, focusing on the sensation of your breath entering and leaving your body.
Square / Box breathingBack to top
Box or equal breathing is a technique that helps bring balance to your breath and calm your nervous system.
- Inhale slowly through your nose for a count of four.
- Hold your breath for a count of four.
- Exhale through your nose to the same count of four.
Continue this rhythmic pattern, ensuring your inhalations and exhalations are equal in length. Feel the calming effect as your breath becomes steady and even.
4-7-8 breathing techniqueBack to top
This technique works by promoting deep diaphragmatic breathing and activating the body’s relaxation response. By extending the exhalation phase, it helps to slow down the heart rate, lower blood pressure, and calm the nervous system.
- Close your mouth and inhale gently through your nose while counting to four. Focus on filling your abdomen with air rather than shallow chest breathing.
- Hold your breath for a count of seven. Keep your awareness centered on the breath and maintain a relaxed state.
- Exhale slowly and steadily through your mouth to a count of eight. As you exhale, let go of any tension or stress, allowing your body to relax completely.
- After exhaling completely, begin the cycle again by inhaling through your nose and continuing with the same pattern of counting. Repeat this sequence three more times for a total of four breaths.
Here are a few ways to incorporate them into your daily routine:Back to top
- Start your day with a few minutes of calm breathing to set a peaceful tone.
- Take short breaks throughout the day to center yourself and regain focus.
- Practice calm breathing before important meetings, presentations, or challenging tasks.
- Use calm breathing as a tool to unwind before sleep.
Calm breathing techniques are simple yet powerful tools that can help you navigate the busyness of life with greater ease. By incorporating these techniques into your daily routine, you can cultivate a sense of tranquility, reduce stress, and enhance overall well-being. Take a moment, breathe deeply, and embark on a journey of inner calm.
Was this helpful?
For more health information
Click on the body area you want to know more about. Select a related health topic from the menu