Was this helpful?
THERE ARE A SURPRISING NUMBER OF TRIGGERS THAT CAN UPSET THE VAGINAL ECOSYSTEM:Back to top
- Menstruation: Blood has a pH of 7.4, so during your period, vaginal pH becomes elevated.
- Tampons: Since they retain the fluids that cause the pH to increase, tampons can contribute to the problem
- Intercourse: The pH of semen is 7.2 to 8
- Douching and cleansers: Any vaginal infusion of water or other fluids can affect vaginal pH
- Normal soap has a pH of 9 or more. The pH of water is 7, and fragrances and perfumes can also irritate the vagina.
- Menopause and pregnancy: These are times hwere hormones fluctuate, which is associated with elevated pH.
- Stress, tight clothing, lingerie and lack of sleep.
- Other risk factors include a new sexual partner or multiple partners, use of antibiotics among others.
PRACTICING SOME OF THESE PREVENTION TECHNIQUES MAY HELP OR REDUCE YOUR RISK:Back to top
- Always wear cotton underwear; avoid nylon and Lycra as much as possible, as they trap air creating a breeding ground for yeast; never wear pantyhose without wearing cotton panties underneath.
- Always use water-based lubricants when vaginal dryness is an issue, during sexual intercourse.
- Always wipe from front to back to prevent the yeast which normally inhabits the intestinal tract from being transferred to the vaginal area.
- Don’t use perfumed bath products or powders in the vaginal area, these can cause irritations which can lead to infection.
- Don’t use douches! Douches wash away the natural protective mucous of the vagina leaving the vagina more susceptible to yeast and other vaginal infections.
- Use a pH balanced feminine wash for your genital area on a daily basis
If your vaginal pH is above normal, you are probably experiencing some of the following symptoms:
- Excess discharge, and
- Painful urination
Was this helpful?
For more health information
Click on the body area you want to know more about. Select a related health topic from the menu
The medical name for vaginal thrush is ‘vaginal candidiasis’.2 Vaginal thrush is an infection caused by the yeast Candida.2 Candida yeast is a normal resident of the mouth, digestive tract, and vagina and it usually causes no harm.2 Under certain conditions, however, Candida can overgrow and cause thrush.2 Was this helpful? Submit Cancel Thanks for your feedback!
WHAT IS MENOPAUSE (PERI-MENOPAUSE)? The word menopause is derived from the Greek words meno (month) and pause (to end). Thus menopause literally means the end of the monthly menstrual bleeding / permanent cessation of menses. Because menses may be irregular for some time before menopause, it is said to have definitely occurred when a woman…