Brought to you by Adcock Ingram
Brought to you by
SPORTS AND JOINT INJURY
Osteoarthritis (OA) is characterised by joint pain and stiffness and restricted movement which could cause a decline in the function of the joint.Bruyere a,Buckwalter g
Regular physical activity is very important for overall health, and even more so for those who suffer from osteoarthritis. Bruyere a,Buckwalter a,d
But, it is not just age and weight that could cause joint damage, participation in some sports can injure joints through single or repeated impact, or weight applied by twisting, and these injuries can lead to post-traumatic osteoarthritis. Bruyere a,Buckwalter h
Regular exercise such as stationary bicycling, rowing, swimming, golf, jogging or racquet sports do not increase the risk for development of osteoarthritis in people with normal muscle strength and normal joints.Buckwalter q But, different types of exercise place distinct strain on certain joints,Buckwalter o while even normal joint use may cause joint injury and degeneration for persons with abnormal or misaligned joints. Buckwalter q,s
Joints have a limited capacity to repair itself after injury.Buckwalter f, Jerosh aCartilage itself is not supplied by blood vessels or nerves; therefore, damage does not cause direct pain. Physical examination and x-rays also may not show the damage and these instances of joint damage may go unnoticed.Buckwalter i,mThis undetected injury may be one of the risk factors for developing post-traumatic osteoarthritis associated with participation in sports that expose joints to high levels of impact and weight applied by twisting. Buckwalter n
Post-traumatic osteoarthritis progresses over years to destroy the joint, and could cause severe pain, loss of mobility, and deformity.Buckwalter c
When choosing a product to support and maintain healthy joints, look for ingredients that could assist in relieving the symptoms as well as help to maintain the joint structure. Examples of these ingredients are glucosamine and chondroitin as they are important basic natural components of cartilage and synovial fluid. They are naturally formed by the body but can also be provided in the diet.Jerosh b MSM (or methylsulfonylmethane) occurs naturally in nature, is absorbed by marine life or from the soil by plants, including our usual fruits, vegetables and grains. Butawan a,b
Glucosamine is formed in the human body from glucose and is most abundant in connective tissue and cartilage (joints). Glucosamine can also be extracted from the skeletons of crabs, prawns, and lobsters, as well as from mushrooms. Glucosamine is needed by the body to produce the various components of cartilage and the synovial fluid (fluid in the joint space). Jerosh d,e
Chondroitin sulfate is one of the natural components of the joint and is responsible for retaining water in the cartilage and also plays a part in the forming of new cartilage. It can be obtained from the cartilage of cows, pigs, birds and fish for supplementation. Jerosh g,h,j The effect of chondroitin supplementation can be seen within 2-3 weeks, and remain active for up to a few months.
Glucosamine has been proven to help: Jerosh f
- Reduce pain
- Improve function and mobility of the joint
- Reduce progression of joint damage
Glucosamine is considered safe and well-tolerated when used as a supplement, and during multiple clinical trials has shown the same risk for experiencing side effects as the risk with placebo (no active treatment). Honvo a,b
Chondroitin helps to:
- Relieve pain and inflammation,
- Improve function and mobility and
- Maintain the joint structure. Jerosh i,l
When supplementation of chondroitin was studied, no increased risk for side effects were noted, and patients using chondroitin had less side effects than the patients using no treatment (placebo). Jerosh K, Honvo c
MSM is either produced by marine and plants or can be synthetically produced with no difference in structure or safety of the molecule.Butawan a-d MSM can penetrate the membranes and move through the body easily and accumulate over time when taken regularly.Butawan e,f MSM has the following benefits: Butawan g,h,i,j,k
- Anti-inflammatory action
- Antioxidant action
- Helps to protect cartilage
- Helps to improve range and motion of a joint
- Reduces muscle soreness after exercise
ARTHROGUARD ACUTE INTENSIVE
Supporting healthy joints and maintaining joint mobility and flexibility PI, PI
- Contains Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM
- Glucosamine is responsible for mobility and the smooth working of connective tissue and managing the symptoms of joint degeneration.
- Herbal extracts such as ginger root has antioxidant action and neutralise free radicals.
- Additional vitamins and minerals such as B vitamins, Vitamin C & E and zinc provides antioxidant effect and contribute to overall health and wellness.
ARTHROGUARD EVERYDAY JOINT PROTECTION & SUPPORT
Supporting healthy joints and maintaining joint mobility and flexibility
- Contains Glucosamine and MSM
- Glucosamine is responsible for the structure of the cartilage, mobility and the smooth working of connective tissue.
- Devil’s Claw assist in the management of sore muscles.
- Additional vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin B1, B2, B6, Vitamin C, Zinc, Silicon and Manganese provide antioxidant effects and contribute overall health and wellness.
Topical cream to assist the relief of aching muscles and joints, muscular sprains, bruises and swelling and assists in providing temporary relief of stiffness and soreness in the muscles and joints.
- Contains MSM to assist in treating joint inflammation and muscle cramps
- Orleoresin Capsicum helps to relieve aches and pains associated with osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and is also used to relieve muscle spasms.
- Melaleuca Cajaputi is used for topical aches and inflammation, and helps to relieve stiff, aching joints caused by rheumatism.
- Arnica oil is used in strains, sprains, and bruises.
1. ArthroGuard Acute Intensive (Tablet) package insert. 2. ArthroGuard Everyday Joint Protection & Support (Capsule) package insert. 3. ArthroGuard Rub package insert.
4. Bruyère O, Honvo G, Veronese N, et al. An updated algorithm recommendation for the management of knee osteoarthritis from the European Society for Clinical and Economic Aspects of Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis and Musculoskeletal Diseases (ESCEO). Seminars
in Arthritis and Rheumatism 2019;49:337-350. 5. Buckwalter JA. Sports, Joint Injury, and Posttraumatic Osteoarthritis. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 2003;33(10):578-588.
ArthroGuard® Acute Intensive. Each tablet contains: glucosamine sulphate KCl 500 mg, chondroitin sulphate 110 mg, MethylSulphonylMethane (MSM) 300 mg, faxseed powder 50 % (Linum usitatissimum) 66,6 mg, curcumin extract powder
(Curcuma longa) 1,5 mg, ginger root extract 4:1 (Zingiberis rhizoma) 1,5 mg, hydrolyzed Collagen 40 mg, mangosteen extract 10 % (Garcinia mangostana) 10 mg, thiamine (vitamin B1) 0,93 mg, ribofavin (vitamin B2) 1,06 mg, pantothenic acid (Vitamin B5) 4 mg, pyridoxine
HCl (vitamin B6) 1,33 mg, cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12) 0,66 μg, vitamin C 40 mg, vitamin E 5 mg, niacinamide 12 mg, zinc oxide 4 mg, selenium 10 μg, boron 0,5 mg, silicon 0,66 μg, manganese 0,33 mg.
ArthroGuard® Everyday Joint Protection and Support. Each capsule contains: Glucosamine Sulphate KCI 500 mg, Devil’s Claw Extract (4:1) 20 mg, MethylSulphonylMethane (MSM) 300 mg, Flaxseed Powder 50 % (Linum Usitatissimum) 50 mg, Curcumin Extract Powder
(Curcuma longa) 5 mg, Ginger Root Extract 4:1 (Zingiberis rhizoma) 5 mg, Thiamine HCL (Vitamin B1) 0,465 mg, Ribofavin (Vitamin B2) 0,53 mg, Pyridoxine HCI (Vitamin B6) 0,665 mg, Vitamin C 20 mg, Zinc Oxide 2 mg,
Silicon 0,33 μg, Manganese 1 mg. ArthroGuard® Rub. Each 100 g contains: MethylSulphonylMethane (MSM) 5 g, Orleoresin Capsicum (Capsicum Annum Linn) 0,1 g, Melaleuca Cajaputi 2 g, Arnica oil (Arnica Montana) 1 g.
Health supplement. This unregistered medicine has not been evaluated by the South African Health Products Regulatory Authority for quality, safety or intended use. 202002131014700
Adcock Ingram Limited Reg.no. 1949/034385/06. Private bag X69, Bryanston, 2021, South Africa Tel.+27 11 635 0000. www.adcock.com
WHAT IS AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE? A healthy immune system defends the body against infectious agents and disease.1,4In people with autoimmune disease, the immune system cannot distinguish ‘self from non-self’ and as a result attacks its own healthy cells, tissue and organs.2,3,4,7,9 There are more than a 100 AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES recognised globally !1,2,7,9
For more health information
Click on the body area you want to know more about. Select a related health topic from the menu