Brought to you by Medinformer
Brought to you by
WHAT IS HRT?
Hormone replacement therapy are medications used to replace female hormones (oestrogen and progesterone) that are depleted in the body and areno longer produced by the body during menopause. [2; 3]
HRT should generally be started two to three years of menopause. HRT can be in the form of cream or gels, vaginal rings, tablets and skin patches. 
INDICATIONS FOR HRT 
- Treatment of menopause symptoms.
- To prevent osteoporosis in older women (>55 years) and bone loss in women with premature menopause (<40 years).
- Symptoms which indicate urogenital atrophy.
- History of thromboembolism.
- History of chronic heart disease or stroke.
- Current or history of breast, endometrial or other oestrogen dependent cancers.
- Liver disease.
- Undiagnosed persistent urinary tract bleeding.
- Hypertension that is untreated.
- Severe migraines.
- Heart disease.
- Blood clots.
- Breast cancer.
SIDE EFFECTS OF HRT 
- Breast tenderness.
- Breakthrough bleeding.
LIFESTYLE CHANGES WHEN ON HRT 
- Sensation of smoking.
- Healthy lifestyle which should include eating a balanced diet, eating healthy, managing stress and any other chronic conditions you may have such as
- Limit the alcohol that you consume.
- Wearing loose clothing.
1. Johannesburg Hospitals, University of the Witwatersrand, Department of Gynaecology. 2017.
Wits Gynaecology. South Africa: Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
2. Brazier, Y. [Internet]. What you need to know about HRT. United Kingdom: Healthline Media; [updated 2017 May 25; cited 2019 Aug 14]. Available from: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/181726.php.
3. Mayo Clinic Staff [Internet]. Hormone therapy: Is it right for you?. America: Mayo Clinic; [updated 2018 May 24; cited 2019 Aug 14]. Available from:
For more health information
Click on the body area you want to know more about. Select a related health topic from the menu
WHAT IS MENOPAUSE (PERI-MENOPAUSE)? The word menopause is derived from the Greek words meno (month) and pause (to end). Thus menopause literally means the end of the monthly menstrual bleeding / permanent cessation of menses. Because menses may be irregular for some time before menopause, it is said to have definitely occurred when a woman…
WHY IS BONE HEALTH IMPORTANT? The health of your bones is increasingly important as you age. Older adults often have bone loss – low bone density that makes the bones weaker – which leads to an increase risk of fractures. It’s never too early to start thinking about bone health; maximizing your bone during your…