Brought to you by Medinformer
Brought to you by
Children could have 3-8 cold infections a year, and adults 2-4 colds annually.5a
2 in 3 children between 6 months and 2 years of age are not eating food that supports their rapidly growing bodies.6a
Eating a healthy, balanced diet is critical for a strong immune system and overall wellbeing, but sometimes we may need some support when the system becomes strained. When our immune systems are compromised, we are more prone to infections such as colds and flu, and it is even harder to fight these infections.6a,7a,b,c
We know that vitamins and minerals are crucial for a healthy immune system but as we find the cells representing almost 70% of our entire immune system in our gut, this seems to be a very important place to start. 9a
Immunity from plants
B-Glucan occurs naturally in various plants, but also as a part of the cell walls of bacteria and fungi. 11a B-Glucan activates the immune system and increases the body’s immune defense. 11b,c,d
Pelargonium and Elderberry are plant extracts that has proven to improve cold symptoms and help to reduce the time absent from work or school.12a,b,13a,b
Echinacea has been clinically studied over the past 50 years and has proven to effectively stimulate the immune system 14a,b
Propolis contains flavonoids that are powerful antioxidants and play an important role in the maintenance of a healthy immunity15a
Immunity from gut bacteria
Our gut is the home of many beneficial bacteria, that interact with our immune cells to make sure that our immune system matures and functions correctly. The bacteria’s effect on the immunity continues during our lifetime and has a significant impact on whole-body health. 10a,b An imbalance of beneficial bacteria and pathogenic bacteria or a loss of good gut bacteria, however, leads to reduced immunity.10c
Immunity from Vitamins and Minerals
Vitamins play a significant role in building immunity, and these include vitamins A,C,D,E,B6,B12 and folate. Together with the trace elements selenium, zinc, and iron they contribute to the body’s natural defences on three levels by supporting physical barriers (skin/mucosa), cellular immunity and anti-body production.16a
Selecting a product to boost immunity
When selecting a product to support you and your family’s immunity, look for a brand that harnesses all the support that is offered to us by nature, and utilise it to build a strong immune system and ensure overall wellbeing.
- ViralGuard Tablets information leaflet.
- ViralGuard Fizzi Chews information leaflet.
- ViralGuard Throat Spray information leaflet.
- ViralGuard Junior Syrup information leaflet.
- Meneghetti A. Upper Respiratory Tract infection, Medscape (online) 21 June 2018. Available from https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/302460-print.
- Poor diets damanging children’s health worldwide, warns UNICEF, UNICEF MEDIA HOME (online)
- Fletcher J, how to stay healthy with a weak immune system. MedicalNews Today (online). Available from https://www.unicef.org/southafrica/media_22345
- Winkler P, de Vrese M, Laue Ch.Schrezenmeir J. Effect of a dietary supplement containing probiotic bacteria plus vitamins and minerals on common cold infections and cellular immune parameters.
- Vighi G, Marcucci F, Sensi L, et al. Allergy and the gastrointestinal system. Clinical and Experimental Immunology 2008
- Kelly D, Conway S, Aminov R. Commensal gut bacteria: mechanisms of immune modulation.
- Akramiene D, Kondrotas A, et al. Effects of B-glucans on the immune system
- Patrick G, Hickner J. This obscure herb works for the common cold. The Journal of Family Practice 2008
- Flos Sambuci. WHO Monographs Volume 2 (Internet)
- Radix Echinaceae. WHO Monographs 1
- Wagh VD. Propolis: A Wonder Bees Product and its Pharmacological Potentials. Advances in Pharmacological Sciences
- Maginni S, Wintergerst ES, Beveridge S, Hornig DH,
- HTC. Immune booster research report 2019
For more health information
Click on the body area you want to know more about. Select a related health topic from the menu