Brought to you by Medinformer
WHAT IS HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE OR HYPERTENSION?
Normal Blood Pressure: 120(systolic) / 80(diastolic) mmHg
The first (or top) number is your systolic blood pressure. It is the highest level your blood pressure reaches when your heartbeats.
The second (or bottom) number is your diastolic blood pressure. It is the lowest level your blood pressure reaches as your heart relaxes between beats.
Blood pressure is measured in millimetre Mercury.
WHEN DO I HAVE HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE ALSO KNOWN AS HYPERTENSION?Back to top
When diastolic is > than 85mmHg patient must change his/her lifestyle;
> 90 mmHg patient must get medicine;
> 95mmHg patient is not controlled on current medicine
>above 100mmHg patient will be referred to hospital (Hypertensive crisis).
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMSBack to top
- Severe headache Nosebleeds
- Fatigue or confusion
- Vision problems
- Chest pain
- Difficulty breathing
- Irregular heartbeat
- Buzzing in ears
- Pounding in your chest, neck, or ears.
UNCONTROLLED HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE CAN LEAD TO:Back to top
- Heart attack or stroke.
- Heart failure.
- Weakened and narrowed blood vessels in your kidneys.
- Thickened narrowed or torn blood vessels in the eyes.
- Metabolic syndrome.
- Trouble with memory or understanding.
LIFESTYLE CHANGESBack to top
- Get active – start exercise – high repetition
- Control cholesterol – Unprocessed food high in Omega, low in saturated fat?
- Eat better – Less Salt
- Lose weight – Maintain a healthy weight Quit smoking
- Reduce stress
- Control blood glucose
- Monitor blood pressure on a regular basis
For more health information
Click on the body area you want to know more about. Select a related health topic from the menu
WHAT IS CHOLESTEROL? A fat molecule that is white, insoluble and waxy Essential for many metabolic processes There are different types of cholesterol HDL is the ‘good’ cholesterol LDL is the ‘bad’ cholesterol Triglycerides, a type of fat, also form part of the lipid profile Eating foods rich in saturated fats will increase the amount…