Brought to you by Medinformer
2 in 3 children between 6 months and 2 years of age are not eating food that supports their rapidly growing bodies.6a
Eating a healthy, balanced diet is critical for a strong immune system and overall wellbeing, but sometimes we may need some support when the system becomes strained. When our immune systems are compromised, we are more prone to infections such as colds and flu, and it is even harder to fight these infections.6a,7a,b,c
We know that vitamins and minerals are crucial for a healthy immune system but as we find the cells representing almost 70% of our entire immune system in our gut, this seems to be a very important place to start. 9a
Immunity from plantsBack to top
Pelargonium and Elderberry are plant extracts that has proven to improve cold symptoms and help to reduce the time absent from work or school.12a,b,13a,b
Echinacea has been clinically studied over the past 50 years and has proven to effectively stimulate the immune system 14a,b
Propolis contains flavonoids that are powerful antioxidants and play an important role in the maintenance of a healthy immunity15a
Immunity from gut bacteriaBack to top
Immunity from Vitamins and MineralsBack to top
Vitamins play a significant role in building immunity, and these include vitamins A,C,D,E,B6,B12 and folate. Together with the trace elements selenium, zinc, and iron they contribute to the body’s natural defences on three levels by supporting physical barriers (skin/mucosa), cellular immunity and anti-body production.16a
Selecting a product to boost immunityBack to top
- ViralGuard Tablets information leaflet.
- ViralGuard Fizzi Chews information leaflet.
- ViralGuard Throat Spray information leaflet.
- ViralGuard Junior Syrup information leaflet.
- Meneghetti A. Upper Respiratory Tract infection, Medscape (online) 21 June 2018. Available from https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/302460-print.
- Poor diets damanging children’s health worldwide, warns UNICEF, UNICEF MEDIA HOME (online)
- Fletcher J, how to stay healthy with a weak immune system. MedicalNews Today (online). Available from https://www.unicef.org/southafrica/media_22345
- Winkler P, de Vrese M, Laue Ch.Schrezenmeir J. Effect of a dietary supplement containing probiotic bacteria plus vitamins and minerals on common cold infections and cellular immune parameters.
- Vighi G, Marcucci F, Sensi L, et al. Allergy and the gastrointestinal system. Clinical and Experimental Immunology 2008
- Kelly D, Conway S, Aminov R. Commensal gut bacteria: mechanisms of immune modulation.
- Akramiene D, Kondrotas A, et al. Effects of B-glucans on the immune system
- Patrick G, Hickner J. This obscure herb works for the common cold. The Journal of Family Practice 2008
- Flos Sambuci. WHO Monographs Volume 2 (Internet)
- Radix Echinaceae. WHO Monographs 1
- Wagh VD. Propolis: A Wonder Bees Product and its Pharmacological Potentials. Advances in Pharmacological Sciences
- Maginni S, Wintergerst ES, Beveridge S, Hornig DH,
- HTC. Immune booster research report 2019
For more health information
Click on the body area you want to know more about. Select a related health topic from the menu
Cold or Flu
IS IT A COLD OR IS IT FLU? The common cold and flu are both respiratory illnesses, but they are caused by different viruses. Influenza (flu) is caused by influenza viruses which circulate in all parts of the world. Colds and flu share many similar symptoms, so it can be difficult to tell the difference…
WHAT IS A COLD SORE? Herpes simplex labialis (oral herpes), is commonly known as cold sores and is caused by the herpes simplex virus, type 1 (HSV-1)3,4. Herpes simplex virus, type 2 (HSV-2) is mainly responsible for causing genital herpes, however, HSV-2 may spread to the mouth during oral sex which can result in oral herpes4. Cold…