Brought to you by Ascendis
The internationally accepted definition of colic is:
When an otherwise healthy baby has unexplained episodes of fussing and crying for at least 3 hours per day for 3 days per week for at least 1 week.
TIPS TO PARENTS WITH COLICKY BABIESBack to top
- Remember, this will pass, even if it doesn’t feel like it right now.
- Crying time is often increased when a baby senses distress in his/her parents, so try and take turns in calming and soothing baby during episodes of colic.
- Accept help – even if it is just a warm cup of tea and a hug.
- Consult your healthcare professional if you are feeling overwhelmed or distressed.
HOW CAN REUTERINA™ DROPS ASSIST?Back to top
Reuterina™ Drops have been clinically proven to reduce the crying time in colicky infants by up to 50 % within 7 days of first administration.
WHAT CAUSES COLIC?3,4Back to top
In recent years, the role of GUT flora has come into focus, and clinical trials agree that colicky infants tend to have lower counts of lactobacilii bacteria in their GUT than non-colicky ones.
HOW LONG WILL IT LAST?3Back to top
1. Impact RX: Data on file 2. Rome III diagnostic criteria on Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders (FGID). 3. Chau K, et al. Probiotics for infantile colic. A randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial investigating Lactobacillus reuteri DSM 17938. J Pediatr. 2015. 166 (1): 74 – 78. 4. Indrio F, et al. Prophylactic use of a probiotic in the prevention of colic, regurgitation, and functional constipation. A randomised clinical trial. JAMA Pediatr. 2014;168:228-233. 5. Harb T, et al. Infant Colic – What works: A Systematic Review of Interventions for Breastfed Infants. JPGN Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition Publish Ahead of Print. 2016. S0 Reuterina™ Drops: Each 0,2 ml or 5 drops contain a minimum of 1 x 108 live freeze-dried cfu’s of Lactobacillus reuteri Protectis® (Strain DSM 17938) until expiry date.
For more health information
Click on the body area you want to know more about. Select a related health topic from the menu
ARE YOU BREASTFEEDING YOUR BABY? Did you know that by breastfeeding and not using formula you are doing your baby a huge health favour? Breast milk contains easily digestible fats (which give your baby energy) as well as cholesterol, an important component of brain and nerve tissue. Breast milk also gives baby a full range…
WHAT IS A PROBIOTIC? Probiotics are live microorganisms (bacteria) that provides a health benefit. They live naturally in the intestine and are vitally important for gut health.4,5 Lactobacillus reuteri is a species of lactic acid bacteria, important for normal gut functions. Lactic acid bacteria produce lactic acid which helps to stop the overgrowth of bad bacteria.5
WHAT IS POSTNATAL DEPRESSION (PND) It is classified as a mood disorder: Associated with childbirth Starting typically between 2 weeks and 1 month after childbirth, but can present any time during the first year of baby’s life Affecting up to 1 in 3 new moms and even some new dads