Brought to you by Adcock Ingram
Back to top
SPORTS AND JOINT INJURY
Regular physical activity is very important for overall health and even more so for those who suffer from osteoarthritis. Bruyere a,Buckwalter a,d.
However, it is not just age and weight that could cause joint pain and damage. Participation in some sports can injure joints through single or repeated impact or weight applied by twisting. Consequently, these injuries can lead to post-traumatic osteoarthritis. Bruyere a,Buckwalter h
moreover, regular exercise such as stationary bicycling, rowing, swimming, golf, jogging or racquet sports does not increase the risk for the development of osteoarthritis in people with normal muscle strength and normal joints.Buckwalter q. However, different types of exercise place distinct strain on certain jointsBuckwalter o. In addition, even regular joint use may cause joint pain, injury, and degeneration for persons with abnormal or misaligned joints. Buckwalter q,s.
Post-traumatic osteoarthritis progresses over years to destroy the joint. And over time, it could cause severe pain, loss of mobility, and deformity.Buckwalter c.
When choosing a product to support and maintain healthy joints, look for ingredients that could help relieve the symptoms and help maintain the joint structure. For instance, glucosamine and chondroitin. These ingredients are essential basic natural components of cartilage and synovial fluid. They are naturally formed by the body but can also be provided in the diet.Jerosh b. MSM (or methylsulfonylmethane) occurs naturally in nature. It is absorbed by marine life or from the soil by plants, including our usual fruits, vegetables and grains. Butawan a,b
Back to top
Glucosamine is formed in the human body from glucose and is most abundant in connective tissue and cartilage (joints). In addition, we can also extract it from the skeletons of crabs, prawns, lobsters, and mushrooms. Most importantly, Glucosamine is needed by the body to produce the various components of cartilage and synovial fluid (fluid in the joint space). Jerosh d,e.
Back to top
Chondroitin sulfate is one of the natural components of the joint. Firstly, it is responsible for retaining water in the cartilage. Secondly, it also plays a part in the forming of new cartilage. We can obtain it from the cartilage of cows, pigs, birds and fish for supplementation. Jerosh g,h,j. The effect of chondroitin supplementation can be seen within 2-3 weeks and remain active for up to a few months.
Glucosamine has been proven to help: Jerosh f.
- Reduce pain.
- Improve function and mobility of the j.oint.
- Reduce progression of joint damage
Glucosamine is considered safe and well-tolerated when used as a supplement. Moreover, during multiple clinical trials it has shown the same risk of experiencing side effects as with placebo (no active treatment). Honvo a,b.
Chondroitin helps to:
- Relieve joint pain and inflammation.
- Improve function and mobility.
- Maintain the joint structure. Jerosh i,l.
When chondroitin supplementation was studied, scientists noted no increased risk for side effects. In addition, patients using chondroitin had fewer side effects than those using no treatment (placebo). Jerosh K, Honvo c.
Back to top
MSM is either produced by marine and plants or can be synthetically produced with no difference in structure or safety of the molecule. Butawan a-d. It can penetrate the membranes and move through the body easily. Moreover, it also accumulates over time when taken regularly. Butawan e,f. MSM has the following benefits: Butawan g,h,i,j,k.
- Anti-inflammatory action.
- Antioxidant action.
- Helps to protect cartilage.
- Helps to improve the range and motion of a joint.
- Reduces muscle soreness after exercise.
Back to top
ARTHROGUARD ACUTE INTENSIVE
Supporting healthy joints and maintaining joint mobility and flexibility: PI, PI
- Contains Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM.
- Glucosamine is responsible for mobility and the smooth working of connective tissue. Additionally, it also manages the symptoms of joint degeneration.
- Herbal extracts such as ginger root have antioxidative actions and neutralise free radicals.
- Additional vitamins and minerals such as B vitamins, Vitamin C & E and zinc provide antioxidative effects. Moreover, they contribute to overall health and wellness.
Back to top
ARTHROGUARD EVERYDAY JOINT PROTECTION & SUPPORT
Supporting healthy joints and maintaining joint mobility and flexibility:
- Contains Glucosamine and MSM.
- Glucosamine is responsible for the cartilage structure, mobility, and connective tissue’s smooth working.
- Devil’s Claw assists in the management of sore muscles.
- Additional vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin B1, B2, B6, Vitamin C, Zinc, Silicon and Manganese provide antioxidant effects and contribute to overall health and wellness.
Back to top
Topical cream assists in the relief of aching muscles and joint pain, muscular sprains, bruises and swelling and provides temporary relief of stiffness and soreness in the muscles and joints.
- It contains MSM to assist in treating joint inflammation and muscle cramps
- Oleoresin Capsicum helps to relieve aches and pains associated with osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Additionally, it is also used to relieve muscle spasms.
- Melaleuca Cajaputi is used for topical aches and inflammation and helps relieve stiff, aching joints caused by rheumatism.
- Arnica oil is used in strains, sprains, and bruises.
1. ArthroGuard Acute Intensive (Tablet) package insert.
2. ArthroGuard Everyday Joint Protection & Support (Capsule) package insert.
3. ArthroGuard Rub package insert.
4. Bruyère O, Honvo G, Veronese N, et al.
An updated algorithm recommendation for the management of knee osteoarthritis from the European Society for Clinical and Economic Aspects of Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis and Musculoskeletal Diseases (ESCEO). Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism 2019;49:337-350.
5. Buckwalter JA. Sports, Joint Injury, and Posttraumatic Osteoarthritis.
J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 2003;33(10):578-588.
ArthroGuard® Acute Intensive.
Each tablet contains: glucosamine sulphate KCl 500 mg, chondroitin sulphate 110 mg, MethylSulphonylMethane (MSM) 300 mg, faxseed powder 50 % (Linum usitatissimum) 66,6 mg, curcumin extract powder
(Curcuma longa) 1,5 mg, ginger root extract 4:1 (Zingiberis rhizoma) 1,5 mg, hydrolyzed Collagen 40 mg, mangosteen extract 10 % (Garcinia mangostana) 10 mg, thiamine (vitamin B1) 0,93 mg, ribofavin (vitamin B2) 1,06 mg, pantothenic acid (Vitamin B5) 4 mg, pyridoxine
HCl (vitamin B6) 1,33 mg, cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12) 0,66 μg, vitamin C 40 mg, vitamin E 5 mg, niacinamide 12 mg, zinc oxide 4 mg, selenium 10 μg, boron 0,5 mg, silicon 0,66 μg, manganese 0,33 mg.
ArthroGuard® Everyday Joint Protection and Support.
Each capsule contains: Glucosamine Sulphate KCI 500 mg, Devil’s Claw Extract (4:1) 20 mg, MethylSulphonylMethane (MSM) 300 mg, Flaxseed Powder 50 % (Linum Usitatissimum) 50 mg, Curcumin Extract Powder.
(Curcuma longa) 5 mg, Ginger Root Extract 4:1 (Zingiberis rhizoma) 5 mg, Thiamine HCL (Vitamin B1) 0,465 mg, Ribofavin (Vitamin B2) 0,53 mg, Pyridoxine HCI (Vitamin B6) 0,665 mg, Vitamin C 20 mg, Zinc Oxide 2 mg,
Silicon 0,33 μg, Manganese 1 mg.
Each 100 g contains: MethylSulphonylMethane (MSM) 5 g, Oleoresin Capsicum (Capsicum Annum Linn) 0,1 g, Melaleuca Cajaputi 2 g, Arnica Oil (Arnica Montana) 1 g.
Health supplement. The South African Health Products Regulatory Authority has not evaluated this unregistered medicine for quality, safety, or intended use. 202002131014700
Adcock Ingram Limited Reg.no. 1949/034385/06. Private bag X69, Bryanston, 2021, South Africa Tel.+27 11 635 0000. www.adcock.com
For more health information
Click on the body area you want to know more about. Select a related health topic from the menu
WHAT IS AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE? A healthy immune system defends the body against infectious agents and disease.1,4In people with autoimmune disease, the immune system cannot distinguish ‘self from non-self’ and as a result attacks its own healthy cells, tissue and organs.2,3,4,7,9 There are more than a 100 AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES recognised globally !1,2,7,9
WHAT IS CHRONIC PAIN? Chronic Pain is pain that extends beyond the expected period of healing. The pain lasts for longer than 6 months and the patient will feel discomfort all the time. The pain can be mild and severe and doesn’t go away. Chronic pain persists over time and is often resistant to medical…